Christian Guys: 10 Ways to Survive the Summer
Christian Guys: 10 Ways to Survive the Summer
Summer time! Ice cream, beaches, school is out, and short shorts…short shorts?! Goodness! Summer and living in areas where it’s normally warm all the time can be the MOST tempting and trying times for those on their journey to remaining sexually pure. Clothes are more closely related to underwear than actually clothes. So what are you supposed to do?
First let me say, you cannot blame your sin on somebody else’s behavior. Whether or not she knows her worth, you are still responsible for how you think about her, what you do with your eyes, and how you treat her. It will be a struggle but remember the habits you create now will carry into your future marriage. If you are ogling girls now, it won’t all of sudden stop when you are married. It will take time and a lot of hurt feelings trying to change that habit. Trust me, it’s worth figuring out now.
Just like you would want your future wife to keep her body for you, you want to keep your body for her and this includes your eyes. “But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart” (Matt. 5:28). These ladies you pass by on an everyday basis are daughters of the Almighty. Here are a few helpful ideas to keep in mind so you continue to be the protector, gentleman, and Prince of God:
1) Remember you are a gentleman– It doesn’t matter how short a girl’s shorts are or how much her shirt may resemble a bra, I will say it again, you are a gentleman and a prince of the Almighty King. Just because a girl is giving you an invitation to look whether or not she knows it, it doesn’t mean you have to accept it.
2) Distract your eyes– If you see a girl turning the corner or walking down the hall wearing something tempting (whatever that looks to you…we are all different), look to the locker, check the time, check your phone, distract yourself! Keeping your eyes locked onto the thing that is tempting you will only get the thoughts rolling, head turning, lips whistling, you name it. Nip it in the bud!
3) Listen to Christian music– Walking around the mall, beach, wherever you are planning to go during the summer or at anytime where your attention is not needed, be sure to have the right music in your ear. Listening to music about girls and how hot they are will not help you in your struggle. However, listening to gospel music or any type of Christian music that appeals to you will help keep you in a place of God. For more about music, click here.
4) Neck up– When looking at a girl, think neck up. Practice, practice, practice until it becomes a habit. There is no reason for your eyes to go anywhere else unless she’s your wife!
5) Memorize scriptures– We are in a war people! Seriously…loll. Find, google, read, research all the scriptures that will help you during this time. Memorize as much as you can so when you come into a tempting situation, you have the weapons to fight back. “I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you” (Psalm 119:11).
6) Text someone– The reason for accountability partners is for when you are tempted. Text or call them during this time. Use the quickest means of communication to draw your attention away, get advice, prayer session, whatever it is you need at that time.
7) Pray– God gave us the fastest way EVER to communicate and that is through prayer. Stop, close your eyes, go to the throne of God and pray to yourself or out loud, so you can refocus your thoughts on Him, “…Pray that you may not enter into temptation.” (Luke 22:40)
8) Greet ladies beginning with “Sister”– I have found when brothers and sisters in Christ greet each other this way it serves as a reminder. They are your brother or sister in Christ. We are God’s children before we are anything else to anyone. Greeting them this way will help keep your mind right!
9) Watch who you hang out with– If you are hanging out with the “players” from your block or in school, you will start to pick up negative habits or be desensitized to the mistreatment of females around you. “Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character” (1 Cor. 15:33). Picking the right people now for your support system will help years down the road when you need someone to turn to.
10) Be the example- If you can’t avoid being around certain people who are in the habit of mistreating women, become the example. Regardless of whether or not people appreciate your leading, do it anyway. You will be the head of your household and you will have to stand before God one day. The example you lead now will create a habit that will follow throughout the future generations.
I feel safe around the guy friends I have. They look out for me, respect me, and are careful with how they behave. Do the girls in your life feel the same way? Keep these things in mind when you are going about your day. You never know who is watching whether it be your niece, sister, mother, or future wife. The closer you are with God, the easier it becomes to handle temptation. Use the weapons He gave you.
“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes” (Eph. 6:10-11).
Baskets of Blessings!
Jesus, family, ministry, and lots of coffee! My heart comes from being a young teen girl who didn’t know much and found Jesus in a dark time. My ministry focuses on the heart of God for this generation to make Godly decisions especially in the area of purity. A blog for all ages because God’s Word is eternal and has no age limit!
what do you think?