“My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me” (John 10:27, NIV).
Have you ever read a Facebook status or text message and you know the person just got hacked? How did you know? What made you question it? Probably because you know the person so well you know how they speak, their writer’s voice, what kind of words they use, the type of grammar or maybe lack of.
When you are in relationship with God, the same thing happens. Just like when you pick up the phone and you know it’s your mom. Just like when your best friend leaves a voice mail without leaving her name but you know its her. Being able to distinguish the difference between God’s voice and Satan’s is an important part of being a Christian. Why? It’s the difference between turning left or turning right. Each one will lead you into a different direction. Here are a few ways that will help you know it’s God:
1) It matches up with His Word– God isn’t going to tell you something that goes against His Word aka The Bible. For instance, He’s not going to say, “Because Johnny is so cute and totally into you, it’s okay to have sex with him.” Sorry, but that voice belongs to…first name Lucifer…last name Hades (I think if he had a last name…that would be it).
2) It’s unique to you– When you hear it, you know it’s something you’ve never spoken out loud or told anyone. It’s like when your dad buys you your favorite dessert or your best friend buys you a shirt you absolutely love but so much better. It’s better because He’s answering a pain or joy on your heart that is so deep only He can reach it.
3) You had a dream and it stood out– I mean like stub your toe on the corner of your bed type of stood out. God has used dreams since the beginning of time. You wake up and you just know that God was trying to tell you something. Sometimes you need help figuring it out. For instance, I go to my mother, who is saved, strong in the Lord, and it’s a gift He gave her, when there is a dream I can’t quite figure out and ask her to bring it before the Lord. She comes back with things that are so true, unique, and stuff I never told her.
4) It has been confirmed at least twice– This simply means that two or more people (those that also know God’s voice) agree with what you have said. Even God can confirm it to you more than once (if He so chooses). For instance, when I was trying to figure out if my husband was really for me I asked God twice to confirm for me and he did. It was through a specific song that spoke to a pain in my heart only God knew.
5) It feels right– Okay, so I know feelings can’t be trusted for a majority of the time but sometimes they are a good indication something is off. For instance, I’ve had people tell me stuff that was “from God” and my instinctual reaction was as if they just walked up and slapped me in the face. Not in a good way. When that happens, I just ask for other people’s opinions (again who know the Lord) to see what they think. It’s always good to get a collective opinion.
I pray this can be a start to learning how to recognize when God is speaking to you. This is an important part in following the footsteps of Christ. It will help guide you in life and avoid mistakes. Happy listening!!
Jesus, family, ministry, and lots of coffee! My heart comes from being a young teen girl who didn’t know much and found Jesus in a dark time. My ministry focuses on the heart of God for this generation to make Godly decisions especially in the area of purity. A blog for all ages because God’s Word is eternal and has no age limit!